Thursday, March 17, 2011

Toby 2.0 - New and improved

I guess that I should have knocked on wood when I said that it had been easy.  Two days after Toby arrived so did Kennel Cough.  Poor guy just felt terrible.  To add insult to injury he developed an upper respiratory infection & more goo – this time green & out his nose.  And just when I didn’t know if it could get any worse, our girl Akala started coughing.  I had no idea how hard it could be.  There I was, sitting in the death room at our vet (no, that’s not what they call it, but once you’ve been there before to send a beloved pet to the Rainbow Bridge it stays with you), at the end of my rope, trying unsuccessfully to not break down into tears.  As I do sometimes, I was talking to my Jack, the one that got us into the mess J asking for help.

And so he has helped.  Well, it might have been the new dosage of antibiotics for Toby, but either way I’ll take it.  Toby is a whole new dog!

He’s goofy and playful and just wants to be loved.  His manners are a little rough around the edges but when he puts that giant paw up on me I just want to hug him.

Now comes the next hard part.  Tonight Toby is going to his Forever Home.  Assuming that he gets along with their current dog, he’ll take up shop in this nice home.  They have a 12 year-old that will give him lots of love, and a soft bed to sleep on.  He’ll have a yard to chase tennis balls in and a beautiful state park to walk in just a few blocks away.  Most of all, he’ll have a family that will love him forever.

Not sure if/when we’ll go through this experience again, but I’m sure that I’ll never forget Toby.  I just hope that Jack is looking down on us with his big golden grin.

No comments:

Post a Comment